CALL TODAY 301.476.4887

3500 Boston Street Suite 421 Baltimore, MD 21224

Maryland Auto Insurance Requirements

Car insurance is something that few people think about until they are without it and find themselves in need of protection following an accident. For drivers in Maryland, one of the best automobile insurance companies is Roadway Insurance. Known as the No Hassle Insurance Company, they offer affordable coverage for all drivers while providing service to everyone. Representing multiple carriers, the company is the top MAIF agent in the state and is committed to saving drivers as much money as possible.

For drivers in Maryland, the state has certain auto insurance laws that must be followed. All drivers must have 30/60/15 coverage as a minimum, meaning $30,000 bodily injury per person, $60,000 bodily injury for two or more people and $15,000 worth of property damage insurance coverage. How much insurance a driver has comes down to individual circumstances, but must meet the 30/60/15 minimum.

Bodily injury liability insurance pays for medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering while property damage liability pays for repairing or replacing damaged property. Maryland law does not require drivers to carry comprehensive auto coverage, though many do. This insurance protects against incidents not caused by a wreck such as fires, natural disasters, theft or vandalism. For drivers with this coverage, it will pay the cash value of the vehicle minus the deductible.

Collision insurance is not required, and while many people carry it others see it as an added expense and opt not to include it in their insurance package. It pays for damage to the owner’s vehicle involving at-fault accidents. This coverage will pay for any vehicle repairs or pay the cash value of the vehicle minus the deductible if it’s a total loss.

For those needing help with FR-19 and SR-22 certificates, the agency can help as well. The FR-19 ensures drivers meet the minimum vehicle liability requirements, while the SR-22 is mandated by the state to verify a driver has automobile liability coverage. Also called a Certificate of Financial Responsibility, this certificate is required for drivers guilty of DUI, reckless driving and uninsured drivers.