This has been a winter to remember so far! Snow, ice and freezing temperatures have frequently made driving conditions in and around Maryland treacherous.
This has also meant an increase in the number of car accidents with many of these being minor “fender benders” as a result of the slippery roads. If you are involved in a minor car accident, there are a few important steps that should be followed to ensure that it is documented correctly and the claim is able to be handled efficiently:
- Notify the local police: it is always important to call the police immediately, even in a situation where there are no injuries;
- Do not discuss blame or admit fault while speaking to the other driver: the authorities will document the event properly and determine driver error if necessary;
- Follow the advice of emergency personnel if there are injuries involved;
- Exchange information with the other driver: always be sure to get the insurance and contact information of the other driver before leaving the scene;
- Document the scene with photos if possible: if you have a cell phone that can take pictures, do so at the accident scene before leaving in case they are needed for your claim. DO NOT take pictures of the other parties involved or their license plates without asking their permission.
Finally, contact MAIF at 800-492-7120 to report the accident as soon as possible, providing as much information as possible, including the case number issued by the police at the scene. Your assigned agent will get your claim started and let you know the next step in the process.
It is important to follow these steps in the event of an accident, no matter how minor the damage, to ensure you are back on the road safely as soon as possible!