The winter months can bring forth some unpredictable weather. If you find yourself caught in a winter storm, it is important to know what steps you should take to keep you and other drivers safe on the roadway. Depending on the weather, drivers may need to alter their driving to avoid an accident or problem on the road. Try following these tips to help keep you and others safe during the winter weather.
- Make sure you allow the appropriate space between your car and the car in front of you. In the case that you need to press on your breaks, it is important to follow a safe following distance from the car in front you to avoid an accident.
- Don’t speed. You never know if there is a patch of ice or snow that may cause you to get into an accident. Speeding can put you and other drivers at risk.
- When decelerating, use your judgment. Braking in the snow is different from braking on dry pavement. Braking in the snow may cause you to slide if you don’t do so carefully.
- Try driving at a steady pace. Unnecessary braking can cause a collision or skid.
- Invest in snow tires. Your tires should have the appropriate traction needed to grip the road. Snow tires are specially designed to drive in snow. If you live in an area with high snowfall, you may want to consider purchasing snow tires.
MAIF Insurance has locations all over Washington, DC, and Maryland. If you need help find the right auto insurance, contact MAIF Auto Insurance. Contact one of our convenient locations for more information about obtaining auto insurance. MAIF Auto Insurance is available to All Maryland residents who follow the requirements.