CALL TODAY 301.476.4887

3500 Boston Street Suite 421 Baltimore, MD 21224

Maryland Car Insurance Requirements

All Maryland drivers must carry minimum auto liability coverage. Drivers may add additional coverage, or a lender may require additional insurance, but the state of Maryland has a minimum liability requirement for all drivers. Our agency also provides additional insurance services for new customers in Maryland.

The Maryland minimum auto liability limits are 30/60/15, which means:

  • Bodily Injury: $30,000/person or $60,000/accident
  • Property Damage: $15,000/accident


Maryland drivers must maintain continuous insurance coverage. In the event that a driver is caught without adequate insurance, the following actions could take place:

  • Loss of license plates and/or vehicle registration
  • Fines in the amount of $150 for the first 30 days and $7 per day thereafter
  • Vehicle registration reinstatement fee of $25
  • Inability to register future vehicles or renew registration(s) until violation is clear

A court of law may impose additional penalties and/or fines.

Insurance Coverage Explained

Liability Insurance

Auto liability insurance coverage protects you against damage done to other people or property in an accident. The minimum liability insurance requirements vary by state.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

In the event that you are in an accident with an uninsured motorist or a hit-and-run driver, uninsured motorist coverage will provide recovery for sustained losses. Underinsured motorist coverage protects against drivers with inadequate coverage.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

Maryland PIP (Personal Injury Protection) can provide reimbursement for lost income, medical expenses, funeral expenses and other related costs associated with a covered accident. Maryland drivers have the option of waiving PIP to reduce premium costs, talk with a MAIF provider to determine what is best for you.

Collision Coverage

Collision coverage is an additional insurance available that covers damage to your automobile in an accident. If you lease a vehicle or have a car loan, the dealer or lender may require this type of coverage.

Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive coverage provides protection for your vehicle from damage by weather, fire, theft, animals, etc. If you have a loan on your vehicle, this type of coverage may be required by your lender or leasing agent.