CALL TODAY 301.476.4887

3500 Boston Street Suite 421 Baltimore, MD 21224

What is Commercial Auto Insurance?

As you likely know, Maryland drivers are legally required to carry a minimum level of insurance coverage to drive on Maryland roads. However, there is a difference between personal and commercial insurance. Commercial auto insurance in Annapolis is necessary if you are using your vehicle for any business purposes. The exact line between using a vehicle for business needs and performing a few business tasks in a personal vehicle can be hard to identify. Here are some ways to tell if commercial insurance is right for you.

COMMERCIAL AUTO INSURANCE in ANNAPOLIS helps protect you and your vehicle used for business

Times You May Need Commercial Auto Insurance in Annapolis

Many drivers can get personal auto insurance and never have to worry about their coverage. However, some drivers use their vehicles for business and may need to get commercial coverage. While not all instances require commercial auto insurance, it’s a good idea to check with your insurance provider to see if you need a commercial plan.

Passenger Frequency

If you occasionally offer rides for business needs, you likely can still be covered with personal insurance. For example, if you are a real estate agent, you may choose to sometimes drive homebuyers to a location to save space for parking. In this case, you would likely still be covered by personal auto insurance. If you use your vehicle for frequent rides, such as in a rideshare program, you will likely need to get commercial insurance for proper legal coverage.

Use of Specific Vehicle

Some vehicles are commercial by nature. For example, taxis and limos will almost always require commercial coverage. Any vehicle that you frequently use for business purposes, such as a delivery truck, also needs commercial coverage. If you’re unsure whether or not you need commercial coverage, you can ask your insurance provider for further details.

Carrying Equipment

If you are a tradesman, such as a plumber, you will likely be carrying around additional equipment with you when you go to a job site. If you don’t have commercial auto coverage, you may miss out on coverage for any damaged equipment in an accident. Commercial insurance can help financially restore any damage or loss of professional equipment on the road.

Business Registration

If your vehicle is registered through a business or has commercial license plates, you’ll need commercial insurance coverage. Even if you aren’t using the vehicle for business, it still counts as a commercial vehicle and, as such, needs the proper coverage for any driving use.

Where to Get Maryland Commercial Auto Coverage

If you use your vehicle for business, you may need commercial auto coverage. At MAIF Insurance Online, we’re here to help. If you’re not sure whether or not you need commercial coverage, give us a call at 301.476.4887 to set up an appointment and learn more about MAIF insurance coverage. We offer high-quality, low-cost driver’s insurance for both professional and commercial needs.